Friday, June 17, 2011

I am Minnie Mouse!

I have been losing my voice for a couple of days.  By the end of the day yesterday, I sounded very hoarse.  However, when I woke up this morning, it was down to a complete squeak!  I sound like Minnie Mouse.  I have no idea why this is happening.  I haven’t been yelling at my kids! (true story)   I don’t feel sick, and I haven’t been talking any more than normal.  And by normal, I mean the astronomical amount of talking that I do on a regular basis.  Seriously, I’m just not a quiet person. J

It’s my business to talk.  I have tried all morning to avoid talking.  But, my phone keeps ringing.  Have you ever tried to negotiate a deal when you sound like Minnie Mouse? Well let me tell you that I don’t really feel like I’m accomplishing much when the person on the other end of the line chuckles.  I lose the power of negotiation when one word comes out really deep and the next one cracks in a high pitch.  THIS IS NOT FUNNY! I had an agent finally say “I’m sorry, I just really can’t hear you.  It’s not my phone, it’s you!”  Then she laughed hysterically. HA!  Well, I laughed too, only it just sounded like a big goose honk!   That just made it worse.  I think I was laughing to keep from crying!

I haven’t had laryngitis since I was a high school cheerleader.  So, this is a little awkward.  I don’t know why it’s happening.  Maybe it’s God’s way of telling me to be quiet for a day or so.  Is he sending the ‘Hey Kathy - If you won’t shut up, I’ll shut you up!’ message that I really need to hear?  Probably not!  Since I’m sure he can read my thoughts, shutting down my voice doesn’t really shut me up. J  

Or perhaps it’s Karma.  I was really frustrated with an agent this week for a ridiculously low offer, and I decided to hit some tennis balls so I wouldn’t hit her. (smile) But that’s a good thing, right?  I didn’t lose my cool with her., I just took it out on the tennis balls.  Other than that, I was really sweet this week (smile again!)  So… probably NOT Karma.

So, I guess it’s just allergies or a virus or something.  But, I’m worried it’s going to last a really long time because I just can’t shut up long enough to give my voice a rest.  Asking a chatty person to be quiet is like expecting a child not to call you when you sit down on the potty.   It’s Mission Impossible!    I shall try my best, though.  But in the meantime, I’ll just enjoy making everyone laugh.  Even if they are laughing at me, not with me!  Minnie Mouse would be proud!  

No comments:

Post a Comment