I could probably write a book about all the funny things that happen when I’m showing houses. One day, I might just do that. I really don’t want to ever embarrass any of my clients. But usually, the crazy things that happen are things that would just embarrass me! One of the funniest things that ever happened involved a master bath tub and some scared little girls!
I was showing houses to a family that was looking to move into a bigger house in the same area. We had seen several houses and were checking out the master bath in a nice home. Their 2 girls, approximately 11 and 14 (at the time) were with us, and had taken a seat on the edge of the master bath tub while Mom and Dad were checking out the rest of the bathroom. It had a HUGE walk-in closet in the bathroom, and they were very interested in seeing it. I flipped the switch to turn on the lights in the closet, and all of the sudden, we heard this loud BOOM! No lights came on in the closet either! (Blown fuse?) The noise startled us, but it scared the bejeebers out of the girls. Both screamed, jumped up and looked like they had seen a ghost. We were all in total shock for a few seconds. Then… we saw it… both girls turned around to show us their backs. They were SOAKED! We thought the sound had scared them. But apparently, the loud noise was the whirlpool tub coming on. The switch that was all the way on the OTHER wall near the closet was actually the switch to the whirlpool tub. When I flipped it, the jets came on (thus the noise), and the water that was remaining in the jets had shot out and hit the girls. And, not only did it hit them with a great force, it was FREEZING!
There was water EVERYWHERE! We all just stood there with dumb looks on our faces while we assessed the damage. Praise the lord that it was a tile floor and no damage was done (except to the pride of 2 little girls that looked like cats coming out of a pool!)
Now, it’s important to note that all of these discoveries happened in less than seconds, but it certainly felt like it was a lot longer than that. At this point, I didn’t know whether to act cool like this happens all the time, cry, or just burst out laughing. This was 100% my fault, and I was mortified. I tried to maintain my professional composure. After what felt like forever, we all busted out laughing. I looked around for towels (NONE) and got on my hands and knees soaking up water with the only thing I could find… toilet paper! OK…so, the professional composure went out the window. Picture this… Dress, heels, toilet paper, hands and knees, water, etc… not really the image of professionalism that I like to maintain. Haha! But, it would have been worse to leave someone else’s house in a mess!
Needless to say, two wet children will definitely put a quick end to the evening, that’s for sure. Thankfully, my clients are amazing people that laughed it off. After I dropped them off, I called the listing agent to let her know what happened. She laughed OUT LOUD! Then she said “I told them they needed to mark that switch! Hahaha! ” I took “mea culpa” ice cream coupons over to the girls the next day, and we all laughed about it again, and re-enacted the surprised looks on the girls faces a few times for good measure. We made a few jokes about bathing in someone else’s house, etc. But, the next time I picked them up to see houses, I had 2 large beach towels sitting in the back seat for the girls, just for grins. J