Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Elvis on a Steeeeek!

Last year, my parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. Mom wanted to have a big party, and they absolutely deserved to have one.  The problem, however, was that with one brother out of state, it was almost impossible to find a time that we could get everyone here. My mom didn’t want to have a renewal of the vows if all of her children could not be present.  So… we decided that we would wait and have a party later.

Well, their anniversary just happens to be a few days after my youngest daughter’s birthday.  We were having a family party to celebrate our new teenager.  Since we would have most of the family here, Rachel and I decided that we would add a little extra surprise celebration for Mom and Dad.

Of course, as always, it was a last minute pull together event. I am the Queen of last minute planning!  With my job, I have to think on my feet, and I am continually rearranging my schedule to fit everything in.  Basically, with all the balls I have up in the air, who even notices when we add a new one into the mix?

We decided to have a little ‘vow renewal ceremony’ of our own.   And who better to officiate this ceremony than the King himself?  Yes… we needed ELVIS!   But, since Elvis is dead (yes, for you non-believers, he really IS dead), we had to improvise.  So, we went online and found a fabulous picture of Elvis, blew it up, printed it, pasted it on cardboard, and added a paint stir stick.  Wa la!  ELVIS ON A STICK!  We found a list of Elvis songs on the internet (WOW, song titles starting with every letter expect X and Z)  and made up vows that would incorporate some of the song titles.  Since I didn’t have time to rehearse, I just taped the vows onto the back of the ELVIS ON A STICK. 

I stood on the hearth and made a request for Mom and Dad to come join me.  I had already secretly coached the rest of the family on what to do.    So, when I told my parents that I had a special guest present to renew their vows, it was hysterical.  
Every time I said “Elvis”… someone would yell “On A STICK”.   (pronounced Steeeeeeek J)  I held the Elvis up over my face and used my best Elvis voice to read the vows.  And, basically, I stink at an Elvis impersonation. In fact, Stink doesn’t even do it justice.  But, we didn’t care. The vows were supposed to go something like this…
 Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness before family and friends the renewal of vows between James and Linda .  Not one part of this is legally binding.  – what do you expect?  I have a stick in my throat.   (Pause for dramatic effect J).
If there are any suspicious minds in the audience, now would be the time to speak up!  I’m Elvis … (ON A STICK!)
50 years ago, people told them that only Fools Rush In.  But James was All Shook UP , and Linda just couldn’t Help Falling in Love with You.  So proving that only the Strong Survive…
Linda, do you take James to be your Hunka Hunka Burning Love, to promise he will never be Lonesome Tonight, to Love Him Tender and be his Puppet on a String?
James, do you take Linda to be your Good Luck Charm,  to never leave her at the Heartbreak Hotel, to remind her that you want her, you need her, you love her, to never  leave her Blue Eyes crying in the rain?
Well, by the powers vested in me (and let me remind you that there ARE NONE! ),  I now pronounce you man and wife AGAIN!   Hope I don’t get to do the Jailhouse Rock! 
A little less conversation, a little more action please… James you may kiss your bride!
I now pronounce to you Mr. and Mrs. Hunka Hunka Burning Love Hargis!  Let’s Shake Rattle and Roll!  Thank You Very Much…. I am Elvis…. (On A Stick).

We all laughed and cried, and laughed some more.  Mom and Dad had fun, and I nearly peed my pants laughing at myself.  (I crack myself up – haha).  Sometimes the last  minute, pull together ideas are the very best.  So next time you think you don’t have time to do something special, just remember… ‘Elvis (ON A STEEEK) would do it… “For the Good Times”…

No comments:

Post a Comment