Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Double for your trouble!

From the time I was a little girl, my Mom used to pray that I would have a daughter just like me.  I should first explain that I was practically raised by June Cleaver.  My Mom is one of the sweetest women in the world.  She certainly handled me with a whole lot of patience!  I know I pushed her buttons at every turn, but she never seemed to be affected.  But, I would always know when I went too far.  She would say, “I hope one of these days you have a daughter just like you!”  Believe me, this was NOT her speaking a blessing over my life.  It was her wits end frustration coming to a head!    You know the kind…the  ‘I have one nerve left, and you are getting on it’ level of frustration!  Yes, it took her a long, long time to get to that point, but I was persistent!

But, as the good Lord would have it, I grew up and became a Mom.  And just to prove that my Mom has a direct link to him, He decided that she deserved to live out that old verse in Isaiah that speaks of paying you back double for your trouble.  (Isaiah 61:7).   So, not only did I get a child JUST LIKE ME… I got TWO!  Yes, I have two button pushing, talkative, smart, toe-over-the-line, ‘won’t take NO for an answer’ daughters. And, boy does it make my Mama laugh. 

She’s such a sweetheart that she doesn’t dare let me hear her laugh when I tell her the dilemma of the day.  But, I know she’s secretly chuckling.  In fact, I’m almost positive that she hangs up the phone and says “YES – FINALLY!” and then has a 5 second dance party of her own.  I should call my Dad and ask.  But, he’ll never tell!  He’s doing the dance with her!   Is it some sort of secret reward for their patience, or is it just that they are so happy that I finally understand how much CRAP I put them through?    I don’t know for sure. But, I do know that I want to feel it too!  

So, what my girls don’t know is that I am secretly hoping that they have girls just like them.  Yes… I finally understand why a parent would wish that on their kids.  It’s not a meanness thing.  (Well… maybe sometimes there’s a little bit of meanness to it (smile) ). I think it’s more of a hope that they will one day understand the level of patience it takes to raise a child.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got two great girls.  But, they both push the limits at times, and every time they do, I hear my Mom’s voice.  So… I have this secret hope that they will hear ME when their kids crank it up.  No parent wants their kids to suffer…BUT… we all secretly want them to get a taste of their own medicine at least once. 

 So, will I get paid back double for my trouble?  One can only HOPE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment