Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Flying Foils

The other day, I went to get highlights in my hair.   Once I was completely “foiled up”, my hairdresser informed me that she needed to run up to the school to drop off some supplies.  It’s only 5 minutes away, and I needed about 25 minutes for the color to set in.  No big deal, right?

Once she was gone, I realized that I left my tea in the car.  So… I thought I would run outside and grab it.  Since her salon is in her house, I thought I might be able to sneak outside without anyone actually seeing me.  I had that “tune in Tokyo” look going, and I really didn’t want to run into anyone that I knew.  So… I peeked out the door, and realized that the coast was clear.  Or so I thought…

About the time I made it to the car, a big gust of wind came up.  My foils lifted right up in the air.  I mean straight up.  I started to panic.  Visions of Balloon Boy were running through my mind.  I could see the teaser story now… “Hairdresser loses menopausal woman to gust of wind – story at 11”.   Or “ UFO sighted over Lilburn was a hoax- wind and highlights to blame”.    

The panic got even worse when I realized that if any of these foils actually came off, I would have to START OVER!  And, I would “have some splainin’ to do” when Amanda returned.  So, my first reaction was to put my hands up and try to hold down the foils.  But,  it was going to take more than two hands.  So… I opened my car door and stuck my head inside as fast as I could.    There I stood, butt up in the air, and a head full of foils in the car.  Such a pretty sight.   I’m sure I looked like a big ostrich because I kept poking my head up to see if the wind had died down. 

Finally, it looked like the wind had died down, so I decided to make a run for it.  I stood up, closed the car door,   turned and saw a car sitting at the light… ARGHHHHH!  I could see them laughing from 30 feet away.  So, what do I do…  what else can I do… I just smile and wave…. Yep… Just smile and wave J   Here’s hoping they didn’t recognize me from that distance.

I returned safely in the house... but dang it, I forgot my tea.     

No comments:

Post a Comment